Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Update You've All Been Waiting For...

Well, here's the news. The cancer is back. Same thing as before, Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This time, as of right now, it's at stage 2. But this time I'm going to have to do chemo, radiation, and a bone marrow transplant. And the cancer center I was going to can not do the marrow transplant, so I have to start going to another hospital, Northside Medical. And I basically have to start all over again with the tests and everything. I don't know all the details yet, but this time around is going to be a lot rougher than before. The chemo-therapy is going to be a stronger dose, radiation for 5 days a week for about a month or two (I think this is how it will go), and the marrow transplant. I'm not sure on how the marrow transplant will work, but my first doctor told me they would take my current marrow, harvest the stem cells from it, grow a new, clean batch of marrow, and re-introduce that through an IV. At least that's the basics. This might change a little bit once I get started with Northside, but for now this is all I have to go on. It's definitely going to suck, but I'll survive. I really don't know what else to say at this point, but I'll get through it the best I can. I wish it was better news. Once I know more details I'll fill everyone in. So, if you all could, say a prayer or two for me. Lord knows I'm going to need it. As far as the LiveStrong challenge, that's not going to happen for me now. At least not this year. Maybe next time around. Thanks everyone for the support so far.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Chad,

I am very sorry to hear about your relapse. That has to be very scary. Okay, it just flat out sucks, doesn't it? There really aren't the right words for it.

6/4/08 was when I got my diagnosis for nodular lymphocyte predominant HL. I'm also 31. It's such a shock. Your blog gave me a lot of hope. And information on what to be prepared for in this fight.

I am sorry you did not have better news from your scan. I definitely admire your attitude and hope that I can be that strong.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It means a lot.

Alicia

monaven said...

Cancer does suck! I am 36 and just started chemo on Thurs 19th of June for stage 3 breast cancer. I'm not really hungry and not really sick but just really off. The shot yesterday has really whammed me with being tired, and leg pain.

I will be praying for you, I can even begin to scratch the surface of what you are going through with the return and starting completely over with your treatment team. God be with you and your family.
Ramona