Sunday, April 18, 2010

Latest tests look great

Just had my latest PET scan a few weeks ago, and everything looks good.  They wanted to re-do the PET scan from November because there was still a bit of "activity" showing.  Not enough to call it cancer again, but more than normal.  What they mean by activity is: on the scan, it shows how active the cells are.  Someone without cancer will show 0.  Whereas, when I was diagnosed, the activity was up to around 8 to 10, which definitely means cancer.  Well, the scans back in November showed activity around the 2.8 to 3 range.  Which doesn't mean cancer, but shows something is going on.  They weren't too sure what it meant, either the cancer was coming back, or an infection can show the same thing.  So, they wanted to give it a few months and do another scan.  So, the latest one showed the activity around 2.3 to 2.5.  Which is great, in that it shows the activity is lowering a bit.  Not quite 0 yet, but it shows improvement.  My Oncologist explained that with Hodgkin's, that activity will show for quite a while (i.e. a few years) while the lymph nodes recover from all the treatment.  And with Hodgkin's, if it was going to reoccur, it reoccurs very fast like it did the first time.  So, with it being well over a year without it coming back, my chances of staying in remission are looking great.  Praise God!  I'm so ready to be done with this stuff. 
 
Other than all of that, nothing much has been going on with me.  Just working a lot.  This summer is looking to be fun.  Going up to my mom's in May for a week.  This summer I'm looking to do some fun stuff, like camping, white-water rafting, zip-lining, and what ever else may come up.  We'll see.  I'm just looking to have some relaxing fun.  And yes, white-water rafting is relaxing to me.  It fills that urge to do something exciting, and afterwords I'm able to relax and reflect on what I just did.  And it helps me to realize I don't have to dwell on wether or not the cancer is back, which I tend to do a lot.  Maybe everyone who's had cancer does this, I don't know.  But I sure do.  And getting the good news from the scan, I'm slowly realizing I can stop worrying about the cancer, and focus more on other things, like my fitness.  Which I should have been doing all along, but I got into a slump of thinking" why should I bother working out if I'm going to have to go through treatment again."  I know that thinking like that is wrong, but in my mind, it was a very rational thing to do.  So, I'm working on getting over that, among other things.  I may even meet up with a personal trainer to help figure out a plan that would work best for me. 
 
Until next time, let's hope and pray that this streak of good news continues. 

No comments: