Thursday, January 13, 2011

Well, 2010 is over with

Well, 2010 is over with.  Sure went by fast.  And I feel like I didn't do nearly as much as I would have liked to do.  I really wanted to get back into exercising, riding my bike more, and really buckle down on doing more school work.  But for some reason or another, I just never really committed to any of it.  I could go on with the excuses, but I'm not going to.  So, for 2011, I'm going to try harder at everything.  I have a new mountain bike, and am still working on what goals I want to set for myself this year.  One thing I'm thinking of, as far as mountain biking, is to ride in a 50 mile/12 hour marathon.  I may be biting off a lot more than I can chew, but at least it's something to focus on and move towards.  If I can just get my knee/leg to cooperate a little more, I'll be good.  My knee should be good to go for a little bit.  After a couple of x-rays, the docs said I basically have no cartilage left in my knee.  So, I had a series of shots to help "lubricate" the joint, and hopefully they'll last at least a year.  I sure didn't enjoy the shots, but they seem to be helping.  Along with the knee shots, I am starting a workout program that is specific towards mountain biking.  There's a lot to it, and it's a little intimidating, but I'm going to try it. 
 
Okay, so other than the mountain bike thing, I finally finished my Fire Inspector II certification.  I am so glad that's over with.  There's so much to it, it's almost overwhelming.  I feel like I could do the job fairly competently, though.  I'm looking for a position with the government (I have over 12 years total in, so might as well stay with it), but it's kind of slow going.  Not a lot of open positions that I can qualify for at the moment.  But I'm going to keep looking.  In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can go on some inspections with the base inspectors, to get a better feel for how they do it, and get some actual experience under my belt.  I also want to start taking some college classes again.  I'm not too sure on what to focus on at the moment, but I can at least get the general classes out of the way. 
 
On the cancer front, I had my two year scans/tests in November.  Everything came out great!  Which is a huge relief for me.  Sure doesn't seem like it's been 2 years since the transplant.  But thank the good Lord above that I've made it two years.  And with the two year anniversary and clear scans, I've officially been released as a patient of the transplant group.  Yee Ha!  I've been released back to my original oncologist doctor, Dr. Hahm, who is awesome.  She's going to have me do a scan/test in 6 months, and another at 1 year.  As long as those two are good and clear, I should be finished with the testing!  And will be given the all clear!  Oh Lord, let me get though this next year with my sanity intact!  With all of this good news about me, I kind of feel bad because I haven't contributed back to anyone or anything.  I feel compelled to do some kind of volunteer stuff or support help for those that are still going through treatment.  I have no idea on what to do, or where to put that focus at, but I'm going to try to do somthing this year.  More to follow.
 
So, with this being my first post of the new year, I'm going to work on posting more often.  Looking back at my posts for 2010, it's not nearly enough, I don't think.  For my next post I'll put up pics of the new bike, and try to flesh out some kind of plan for my mountain bike "event".  Until then, everyone enjoy the new year. 

No comments: