Saturday, May 19, 2012

It's really been since January????

Well, for those who read this, I'm sorry for not keeping up with things.  Just really haven't had a whole lot of stuff going on for a while.  Until fairly recently, I suppose.
Got myself another mountain bike about a month or so ago.  Had sold my last one out of frustration, partly with some of the parts on it, partly with my own fitness.  So, I sold the bike I had, and didn't think I would miss riding at all.  Well, I was totally wrong.  I've been thinking about riding a lot, and missed not having a bike.  So, I got another one.
But......
I've only ridden twice so far.  Ya see, on the second ride, at the end of the trail, I wrecked.  Didn't damage the bike at all.  But I did break my ankle!  Not a bad break, though.  Just chipped a bone.  Was in a walking cast for a few weeks, and now I'm out of that.  Still sore, but I think in about a week or so, I should be fine to ride.  Just gonna take it easier, and wrap my ankle for a while.

Yes, I'm a clutz. 

But, it's not gonna keep me from riding.  Just can't help but think of riding.  And those two rides I did get in, i really enjoyed.  I didn't try and ride real hard, or long.  Just went out with the mindset of just have fun.  And I did.  Just gonna take it easier than I was before, enjoy riding.  My fitness is no where near where I want it, and I'm not gonna push it too hard.  That's what I did before, and I burnt myself out.

I still have the grand ideas of doing long, overnight type rides.  A camping type ride, which they call bikepacking.  Basically backpacking, but instead of hiking, you ride a bike.  I've read a lot about it, and it sounds like a blast.  So, I'll work towards that.  No big, grand ideas or anything, not yet.  The time will come for all of that.  Right now, I just need to get back into riding, and working on my fitness.

As far as my cancer.  Things are still looking good.  Like my last post said, last PET scan was in December.  So glad to have that behind me.  Still have to do blood work the next few years, but for the most part, I'm over the hump.  I've been spending all this time trying to process it all.  This cancer shit has been at the forefront of my life for so long, it's weird knowing that, basically, it's now behind me.  Still working on moving beyond it.  And of course, it's still on my mind that there's still a chance it can come back.  God, if it does......I don't even want to think of it.

I've got a little more going on, that I'll write about more in another post soon.

As for this blog, seeing as how the cancer is basically behind me (hopefully forever), I gonna kinda change focus.  I'll start posting more on the fun things I'm doing.  Like mountain biking, fitness, some camping, and other fun stuff I'm doing with this new lease on life.  I guess to kinda show there is a life after cancer.  And I'll try and be a little more active with posting.  Not this one-post-every-5-months routine I've been doing lately.

So, with that, here's a few pics of the new mountain bike.  And I promise, I'm going to hold on to this one for a while!
The new bike is a 2012 Trek Cobia.  Nothing seriously fancy, but it's a fun bike to ride.  Thanks to Free Flite Bicycles for everything.


Top cap holds a "beverage" cap.  One of my favorite drinks.

No comments: