Friday, January 11, 2008

Port Removed

Wednesday, January 9th, I had my port removed. Thank goodness! That was the last thing to have done to say "I'm done" with the cancer treatment. If you don't know what a port is, this is it: http://www.powerportadvantage.com. It goes right underneath the skin, usually on the front upper section of the chest. They wanted to put it on the left side, but I figured "I'm going to be doing a lot of driving, and the seatbelt would go right over that. That may hurt." So I had them put it in on the right side, mostly out of convenience. Anyways, everything went well. I'm still a little sore, but it's nothing. A little Darvocet and EVERYTHING is fine. Haha (Not really. I am having to take it for the pain though.)

It's a huge relief to be on the other end of treatment. I have a lot to look forward to this year. My friend Amanda and myself have pretty much decided that we are going to do the LiveStrong ride in Austin, TX. It's not till October, so I have plenty of time to get ready for it. She's already a good rider, fitness wise, and she has experience doing charity rides. So, that's part of my motivation to get good on the road bike (so I'm not too embarrassed by being this big guy on a tiny bike with no clue on what he's doing). Some other people have expressed some interest in doing the LiveStrong ride with us, but I don't know if they will do it or not. I'm excited to be going to Austin. This is the main event, if you will, of the LiveStrong rides. It's spread out over a few days, with a lot of stuff going on in the community. I think it will be a blast.

Well, as soon as I heal from the surgery, my training begins! I won't be following a training plan yet, as I'm basically coming in to it as a beginner. Chris, the general manager at the bicycle store I work at part-time, advised to just start riding for 30 minutes at a time to begin. That way, I get use to it first. Every week or 2, begin increasing the time I'm riding, by about 10 minutes each time. I figured once I get up to about 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a time, I should be good to start a training plan. We'll see though. I'm excited to begin training. I have a good amount of extra weight that I need to get rid of (partly due to the cancer), and I know I'll start feeling better once it starts coming off. All in good time though.

I'm going to post a few pictures of my new road bike next post. It's a 2007 Lemond Alpe De'Huez. Good looking bike, in my opinion, and extremely comfortable. It's been rated as a very good bike for longer distances and people who have had back troubles, so this suits me almost to a T. There's still a few things I want to upgrade on it, as most of you know I can't help myself when it comes to putting money into a bike. It's just that I really enjoy doing it. So, be looking for those pictures here in a week or so.

God bless,

Chad

No comments: